Redesigning A Legacy Learning Management System

NetDimensions LMS was 19 years old, and had never had dedicated design input. I was part of a small team tasked with redesigning the user experience of the LMS

Initial Research
User Interviews
User Testing
Conceptual Design
User Journey Maps
Detailed Design
Detailed Design
Interaction Design

Initial Research

We knew the LMS was powerful, and its strength laid in the fact it allows companies with strict regulatory requirements meet their compliance needs. However, we also knew that many existing customers were on the verge of leaving due to the cumbersome and unintuitive UX, which lead to frustration amongst learnings and administrators of the system.

We needed to understand more about where we were tripping up before we dived into design so decided to conduct some initial research to unearth the real problems users were facing, and what they needed to use the system for.

We identified and contacted several clients, representing key industries that we worked with and began user interviews to discern their current view of the LMS, where it met there expectations and also where it was causing problems.

Interviews were semi-structured and took place via video conferencing. The results were revelatory. We unearthed key problems with the current UX and UI, as well as key areas where the product was falling short. It helped us better understand the key tasks users were trying to complete, and we used that information to map out key user journeys detailing the touch points where users interacted with the system and problem areas.

The results helped us map out a design strategy, and unearthed the most important areas for us to tackle.

Conceptual Design

Given the complexity of the system, and the lack of design standards and consistency in the product we decided to start with low fidelity wireframes. This was so we could map out key user journeys and information architecture without getting lost in details.

The deliverables at this stage were user journey maps based on findings from our research stage, and also low fidelity wireframes that showed the overall layouts and architecture of the new design.

Designs were sketched and discussed before being created as lo fidelity wireframes in XD. We were able to highlight key layouts and information without getting too deep into visual design at an early stage.

This allowed us to rapidly iterate and insure the journeys for completing important tasks were well optimised and user friendly.

Detailed & Interaction Design

The design process was iterative, each area was revised based on user feedback and guerrilla usability tests conducted with existing and prospective users.

We used 2 week design sprints to tackle areas, whilst collaborating closely, implementing and revising our new design system to ensure consistency and coherence throughout the product. Below you can see the evolution of one particular screen.

Interaction design was done within axure, where we created a clickable prototype, show casing the key interactions and states of each component within the application. This allowed us to create an almost functional design that was useful when running usability tests.

Over 3 months we managed to redesign the entire learner experience and the final deliverable was a set of high fidelity mockups, and clickable prototype. We also used the process to refine and improve the design system that was created to ensure consistency and usability across our products.


The final prototype was tested and presented to a range of clients and internal stakeholders. Feedback was overwhelmingly positive and the benchmark usability tests conducted on the legacy system were surpassed easily when measuring key metrics such as time on task, and error rate.

The final design was refined and currently in the development pipeline ready for implementation.